Charity Spotlight: Broken to Brilliant
Broken to Brilliant LTD ™ is an Australian registered not-for-profit charity, established by domestic violence survivors to mentor other survivors to re-establish successful lives. They help victims who have safely left the abusive relationship and are out of the crisis, by providing services and programs to empower, support, assist and give hope to survivors creating a new chapter in their lives. They have published 3 books and this year launched their Mentoring Program, and opened their brick and mortar Op Shop/Support Centre.
Tell us about Broken to Brilliant
Broken to Brilliant LTD ™ is an Australian Not for Profit Charity, established by domestic violence survivors in 2016 to help fellow domestic violence survivors in their long-term recovery and rebuilding their lives. Our work begins after survivors have been through the crisis and transition stages and safely left the abusive relationship.
From our own personal experience, reports from other survivors and the research literature, few domestic violence support services are geared toward survivor’s long term recovery and restoration, and little is known about the coping strategies used by survivors when they begin to start a new chapter in their lives. This is why we founded Broken to Brilliant.
In our three books, survivors share their stories of strength and success, providing steps about their rebuilding, surviving and thriving after domestic violence. This is a ‘Pay it Forward’ model of mutual rehabilitation that provides survivors with the opportunity to use their experiences in a positive way, that in turn goes some way towards validating their experiences, supporting their healing and helps other survivors on their path to recovery.
Through our Give a Book to a Refuge Bed Campaign, Broken to Brilliant donates our books to women in refuges, shelters and transition homes throughout Australia.
All books are available and can be purchased as a Give-a-Book from the Broken to Brilliant online store. Broken to Brilliant will ensure that all books are donated to a refuge.
A hard copy of the books can also be purchased from the Broken to Brilliant online store or through most online book retailers. All the books are also available in e-Print and audiobook format.
Tell us about the day to day aspect of Broken to Brilliant. What does Broken to Brilliant do?
Broken to Brilliant:
• Offer a 12-month narrative and art therapy program, which includes online programs, a 4-day live-in writing workshop, to develop a book in print, eBook, and audiobook formats
• Deliver a Survivor to Thriver Mentoring Program
• Produce podcasts sharing authors experiences of rebuilding their life after abuse
• Provide learning modules in our online course Steps to rebuild your life
• Run fundraising events such as the Melbourne Cup Lunch and High Tea events
• Operate an Op Shop and Support Centre in Geebung, Brisbane staffed by volunteers
• Donate Gift vouchers for survivors in refuges/shelters to redeem at the Broken to Brilliant Op shop
• Support Micro-enterprises/businesses set up by domestic abuse survivors by selling and promoting their products in the Op Shop
• Partner with Rein Changer who runs Equine Therapy and Charming Charlie and Spectacular Sophia- anti-bullying program in schools
Where do you do your amazing work?
Broken to Brilliant operates both online and face to face by providing a mentoring program, education, workshops, book sales, receiving donations, publishing podcasts and blogs. Our founders and directors are in the Moreton Bay, Gold Coast and Brisbane. Our Saturday Gratitude walkers and Pilates participants are from the Moreton Bay and Brisbane. The authors of our books are from Australia, England and America, and our members are from numerous states across Australia, and our Give a book for a Bed Campaign runs Australia wide.
How many survivors do you support?
To date, our programs have directly supported 40 authors/survivors. We have provided education through the Steps to Rebuild your life to 80 participants, and have donated over 1,000 books to our Give a book to a Bed Campaign across Australia. We have involved 50 volunteers and supporters, many of whom work fulltime and offer their time and energy after hours. Our Facebook currently attracts an average reach of over 1400 people.
How would funds through charityBay assist your goals for 2020/2021?
Funds through charityBay can help:
• Deliver Art Therapy workshops conducted by qualified practitioners.
• Ten survivors participate in a 12-month narrative and art therapy program, which includes online programs, a 4-day live-in writing workshop, the development and production costs of the 4th book in a printed, eBook, audiobook format and associated podcasts.
• Deliver Trauma and Resilience workshops conducted by a qualified practitioner.
• Produce additional podcasts sharing authors experiences of rebuilding their life after abuse.
• Develop additional learning modules for our online course Steps to rebuild your life.
• Expand the Broken to Brilliant Op Shop and Support services to additional locations throughout Brisbane.
You can support Broken to Brilliant’s amazing work by clicking the link below: