20 spring cleaning tips to freshen up your home
Spring is finally here! Refresh your space for the new season with these spring cleaning tips and tricks that will leave your home feeling brighter and better than ever before.
1. Declutter your unwanted items by listing them on the charityBay app. It’s an easy way to clean out the clutter while making a difference for the causes you care about.
2. Make a step by step checklist (or use ours below!).
3. Avoid placing clothing, other textiles and shoes in your general waste bin- If they are still in usable condition, pass them on to family and friends, or donate them to keep them out of landfill.
4. Beat boredom by cleaning room by room and breaking tasks down into 10-minute chunks.
5. When recycling, make sure you flatten cardboard boxes, or even tear them up into smaller pieces to make more room in your recycling bin.
6. When cleaning window tracks:
- vacuum up any debris
- cover the area with baking soda
- add vinegar
- use a toothbrush to clean the window tracks
- wipe it down
7. Start your own compost bin- By simply using a bucket or old container, you can compost food scraps, and then use them on your garden!
8. For squeaky clean glass, mix ½ cup of white vinegar, ¼ cup rubbing alcohol and 2 cups of water in an empty spray bottle. Wipe with a clean microfiber cloth to avoid streaking.
9. Use a dry brush to lift stains and dust from fabric furniture.
10. Make a playlist of your favourite songs to keep you motivated while tidying.
11. Clean scuffs off hardwood floors by using a sock or a clean tennis ball. For bigger scuffs, try adding some baking soda to a damp cloth and rub gently, then rinse with a damp paper towel. Voila! Brand new looking floors.
12. Drain clogging up? Pour ½ cup of baking soda down it, then ½ a cup of vinegar and cover with a wet cloth. Leave it for 5 minutes, then pour hot water down the drain.
13. Use a lint roller to reach places that the vacuum can’t.
14. To untangle knotted jewellery, sprinkle a small amount of baby powder over the knot, and use a pin to pull it apart.
15. To clean outdoor furniture, add some dishwashing detergent to warm water, and wipe. Rinse off with a hose.
16. To lift grease from kitchen cabinetry, add dishwashing detergent to warm water and spray onto the grease, before rinsing with a cloth, then drying.
17. Rub marks off wooden furniture with a walnut. How clever!
18. De-pill jumpers by running a textured scrubbing sponge over the surface.
19. Light a candle to keep your space smelling fresh.
20. Use storage cubes and dividers to reorganise your cupboards and keep your home neat.